Friday, November 6, 2009

Officially A Country Girl?

Well, maybe not, but I felt like it, a little.
I haven't birthed a calf, plowed the lower 40 or cleaned stables, but Steve taught me how to use the tractor -mower to sweep up leaves. We've had this large yard for a year now so I thought I otta learn how to use it. Steve loves to mow the lawn and it's his new toy so he still considers it fun. Well now I know what he means, I had a blast. When the yard was more than half way done he wanted to finish it up (do ya think I made him beg?).
Most of the leaves come from these 2 huge Maples, and it does cover most of the back yard. There are some small deciduous trees along the sides mixed in with all the White Pines but we don't bother raking under there. All that can grow under them anyway are weeds that the pine needles can't kill off (including poison ivy).

Stevie had to help pick up apples from our tree so the mower wouldn't squish too many of them. I didn't realize there were so many, we've got them piled under the tree, thrown under the pines, in the compost pile (behind the leaf pile), and even in the brush pile that we're trying to clear out by burnings in the fire pit that Josh made.
With this being our first summer here we didn't try to learn about spraying the apple tree so there weren't any edible ones.

No comments: