Monday, May 19, 2008

Lift Him Up - 2 Great Worshipful Songs

You Are My Hiding Place by Michael Ledner ('81)
Psalm 32:7 Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah
In this psalm of confession and forgiveness David teaches that ..."when we have received the comfort of our remission, we must fly to the grace of God to be preserved from returning to folly again, which way soever I look I shall see occasion to rejoice and to praise God; " Matthew Henry

As The Deer by Marty Nystrom ('81)
Being exiled from Jerusalem, David longed to be where God dwelt in His temple
Psa 42:1 ...As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God.
"When I wrote As The Deer it was a testimony of when I was earnestly seeking God's will. I believe pure, sincere adoration of God is spiritual warfare. In the Old Testament, when they went into battle, they didn't sing a warlike song. Instead, they sang about the goodness and mercy of the Lord. We are created to commune with God. Worship is a powerful weapon against the enemy. It should be our lifestyle." Marty Nystrom

"....Sometimes God teaches us effectually to know the worth of mercies by the want of them, and whets our appetite for the means of grace by cutting us short in those means. ...lamenting after God is as sure an evidence that we love him as rejoicing in God." Matthew Henry

1 comment:

Mimi's Toes said...

This was what I needed this morning to get ready for my busy, stressful day of a moving sale. Thank you for sharing such wonderful posts. God is with us and will not leave us or forsake us.